Thursday, July 21, 2011

Paragliding in Chamonix

Speaking of France...Two years ago, I traveled to Chamonix in the French Alps to celebrate a change-of-decade birthday.  The town sits next to Mont Blanc. We took the tram to the top of the mountain, and at 12,000 feet, it is chilly even in the middle of summer.  Even with several layers we were still freezing.

One of the highlights of the trip was paragliding off the mountain.  We took off from the midpoint of the peak on the other side of the valley.  After laying out the parachute, my guide, Eddy and I began.  His instructions were to walk and then run toward the edge of the mountain.  As we neared the precipice, I was getting a bit nervous, especially as I was running full tilt into thin air.  Not to worry, we were airborne, and for 45 minutes, I soared between the mountains.  The only sound was of the wind whistling in my ears.  We could see the town of Chamonix, Mont Blanc and the glacier where we had been earlier.  It was magical.

No comments:

Post a Comment